The Malatesta Temple is the mausoleum church of the Malatesta family (who ruled Rimini between 1295 and 1528), and locals refer to it as the Cathedral or Dome of Rimini. Indeed, the edifice has been granted the dignity of a cathedral in 1809, meaning it is, chronologically, the third cathedral of Rimini.

The construction works at the Malatesta Temple started in 1447 by order of Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, ruler of the city of Rimini between 1432 and 1468. Yet, truth be said, the works carried out around 1450 under the supervision of Leon Battista Alberti were intended to restore, enlarge and bring to a more artistic expression a preexisting place of worship, that is, a Franciscan church dating back to the 13th century. Given the Renaissance views of Leon Battista Alberti, the exterior of the church is largely inspired from the classic antique architectural style.

Thus, the exterior is in strong contradistinction from the Gothic interior dash of the edifice, which is no surprise, since another architect, Matteo de Pasti, was commissioned by Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta to design the interior.

This place of worship was retained by the local history under the name of the Malatesta Temple due to two aspects. First of all, it is precisely a representative of the Malatesta family that initiated the widest project of renovation. Secondly, the concept of temple applies due to the fact the architectural structure Leon Battista Alberti wanted to implement (which he did, at least in part) mimicked the architectural structure of the ancient temples.

The restoration works started in 1450 were never completed. However, the church strikes first and foremost by its marble façade, owed, as it seems, to Leon Battista Alberti.

Name:
Malatesta Temple (Tempio Malatestiano)
Address:
35, Via 4 Novembre, 47921, Rimini, Italy
Telephone:
0039 0541 51130
Website:
www.diocesi.rimini.it

35, Via 4 Novembre, 47921, Rimini, Italy

Go to top