The Roman Amphitheater of Rimini was built during the 2nd century, at the outskirts of the former Ariminum, right on the seashore, offering great views especially to those coming from the sea. The large radius of this elliptic edifice amounted to 118 meters, whereas the small radius only measured 88 meters. The arena filled a surface of 73 X 74 meters, and the overall capacity of the amphitheater reached to 12,000 seats for the public who used to take great pleasure in watching the fights between the gladiators and the war prisoners forced to fight each other or against wild animals.

The amphitheater served its intended use for only a short period of time, since it was soon embodied within the walls erected in view of defending against the barbarian invasions only to become, later in the Middle Ages, more of a stone quarry used for the construction of other edifices. Whatever survived from the Roman Amphitheater was rediscovered in 1843 by a historian, Luigi Tonini. During the Second World War, the area was largely affected by bombings, and complete restoration works were carried out only during the 1960s.

At present, the Roman Amphitheater is one of the most important tourist landmarks in Rimini, hosting, at the same time, countless cultural performances and events. Visits are possible by resorting to the guided tours organized by the City Museum which, for that matter, shelters some archeological findings from the Roman Amphitheater in the area dedicated to this topic.

Roman Amphitheater (Anfiteatro Romano di Rimini)
Via Vezia, Rimini, Italy